The Ultimate Guide to suspension upgrades: improve ride quality and handling
Let’s talk about suspension upgrades for trucks, Jeeps and SUVs. At MC Customs, we are passionate about enhancing your vehicle’s performance and ride quality through aftermarket parts. Among the various upgrades available, suspension modifications stand out as a game-changer, offering benefits for both novices and seasoned enthusiasts.
For those new to the concept, a vehicle’s suspension system comprises various components like shocks, springs, control arms, and more. These elements work in harmony to support the vehicle’s weight, absorb road impacts, and maintain stability while driving.
Understanding Suspension Upgrades: OEM vs. Aftermarket Parts
What are OEM Parts?
OEM parts are components made by the same manufacturer that produced the original parts for your vehicle. These parts are designed to meet the factory specifications and are often what your vehicle comes equipped with when purchased new.
- Reliability and Compatibility: OEM parts are designed to precisely fit your vehicle model, ensuring compatibility and reliability.
- Warranty Coverage: When installed by authorized dealerships, OEM parts usually come with warranties that might cover replacements or repairs for a specific duration.
- Limited Customization: OEM parts are built to meet general driving needs and might not cater to specific performance enhancements or modifications.
- Higher Cost: Generally, OEM parts tend to be more expensive compared to aftermarket alternatives due to the brand name and dealership markup.
What are Aftermarket Parts?
Aftermarket parts are manufactured by companies other than the original manufacturer of your vehicle. These parts are designed to either replicate OEM specifications or offer improved performance, durability, or customization options.
- Customization and Performance: Aftermarket parts often offer a wider range of options, allowing customization to suit specific driving needs. This includes enhanced performance, better handling, or specialized features for off-road adventures.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Generally, aftermarket parts can be more budget-friendly than OEM parts while providing comparable or improved performance.
- Quality Variability: The quality of aftermarket parts can vary significantly across different brands and manufacturers. It’s essential to research and choose reputable brands known for their quality and reliability.
- Compatibility Concerns: While many aftermarket parts are designed to fit specific vehicle models, some might require modifications or adjustments during installation.
Why Upgrade Your Suspesion
- Enhanced Ride Quality: Upgrading your suspension can drastically improve the overall comfort of your vehicle, reducing bumps and vibrations that passengers feel inside the cabin.
- Improved Handling: A well-tuned suspension system enhances your vehicle’s stability and handling. It helps maintain control during cornering, reducing body roll and improving responsiveness.
- Off-Road Performance: For adventure seekers, a robust suspension system is crucial. Upgrades can provide better ground clearance, increased articulation, and improved traction on challenging terrains.
- Payload and Towing Capacity: Upgrading your suspension can also bolster your vehicle’s ability to carry heavier loads or tow trailers, ensuring safer and more stable operation.
- Customization and Aesthetics: Get the look you want out of your vehicle. This is a key reason to upgrade suspension for a lot of people. Turn your stock vehicle into your own vision.
Types of Suspension Upgrades
Lift kits raise your vehicle’s height, providing more ground clearance for off-road ventures. Beginners might opt for a simple leveling kit, while off-road enthusiasts might prefer a more comprehensive suspension lift for added clearance and larger tires.
Shocks and Struts:
Upgrading shocks and struts can significantly enhance ride quality and handling. Advanced technology, such as adjustable shocks, allows you to fine-tune your vehicle’s damping characteristics for different driving conditions.
Aftermarket springs can improve both ride comfort and handling. Lowering springs offer a sportier feel, while heavy-duty springs are ideal for carrying heavy loads.
Sway bars, also known as stabilizer bars, reduce body roll during cornering, enhancing stability and control. Upgrading to thicker or adjustable sway bars can fine-tune your vehicle’s handling characteristics.
Installation of Aftermarket Parts
While the benefits of suspension upgrades are undeniable, proper installation by trained professionals is crucial. Our team at MC Customs ensures precise installation, aligning with your vehicle’s specifications and your desired performance outcomes.
Investing in suspension upgrades can transform your driving experience, whether it’s for daily commuting, off-road adventures, or towing needs. Before upgrading, it is important to consider your driving habits, desired outcomes, and budget. Our experts can guide you in selecting the right upgrades tailored to your specific needs.
For a personalized consultation or to explore our range of suspension upgrades, reach out to our team today!